These burgers will change your mind about ground turkey! A deliciously satisfying stuffed burger made with change of pace ground turkey, loaded with flavor.
Hands-on Time: 25 min. | Total Time: 40 min. | Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, well drained
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. coarse sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ lb. ground turkey
- 6 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 4 thick slices
- 4 hamburger or Kaiser rolls
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Put oven rack in middle position and heat oven to 350°F.
- To make the sun-dried tomato mayonnaise, puree tomatoes with water, vinegar and salt in a blender or mini food processor, scraping down sides as necessary; blend in mayonnaise. Set aside, covered, in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In an 8” skillet over medium heat, cook shallot in oil with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until golden; transfer to a medium bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Add turkey and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Prepare the grill for medium high heat. (Alternately, burgers may be cooked indoors on a lightly oiled nonstick skillet.)
- Turn out turkey mixture onto a sheet of wax paper and divide into 8 equal mounds. Pat 1 mound into a 4” patty and top with 1 slice of cheese; then put a second mound on top, patting it onto the other patty to enclose the cheese. Pinch edges together to seal and shape into a single patty. Make 3 more burgers in the same manner.
- Grill (or cook) burgers, turning over once, just until cooked through (no longer pink), about 10-12 minutes or internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- While burgers are cooking, heat rolls on a baking sheet in oven until crusty, about 5 minutes. Transfer rolls to a rack to cool slightly.
- Cut rolls in half horizontally and spread cut sides with mayonnaise mixture. Serve burgers on rolls with lettuce leaves.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 810, Calories from Fat 430, Total Fat 48g (74% DV), Saturated Fat 15g (75% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 165mg (55% DV), Sodium 1260mg (52% DV), Carbohydrates 48g (16% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 6g, Protein 52g, Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 50%, Iron 30%.