Do you love cheesy grits? Then surprise your family and friends with this tasty brunch casserole. Use red, yellow or orange bell peppers for added color.
Hands-on Time: 35 min. | Total Time: 1 hour 15 min. | Serves: 15 | Difficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 packages (6.4 oz. each) heat-and-serve sausage links, cut into ½” pieces
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- Butter or spray 13”x9” baking dish. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In 12” nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, pepper, celery and garlic in butter 10 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, heat water, milk and salt to boiling. Slowly stir in grits. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In medium bowl, whisk sour cream and eggs. Gradually stir about 1 cup grits into egg mixture to temper eggs. Then stir egg mixture into remaining grit mixture. Stir in onion mixture, sausage and cheese.
- Spoon into baking dish. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until set and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 5 rows by 3 rows. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and green onion.