Created by: Produce for Better Health Foundation
With rich, savory creams and sauces, most Mexican recipes might seem like a dieting splurge—but this pineapple salsa is so healthy, you can enjoy it without an ounce of guilt. It’s delicious with grilled shrimp, fish or chicken. Kroger Staff Dietitian Allison Kuhn notes that the recipe contains zero grams of fat, but is chock full of vitamins as well as plenty of fiber.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup red and/or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, slivered
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
Blend pineapple, bell pepper, onion, lemon juice, cilantro and jalapeño pepper in medium bowl. Refrigerate, covered for 4 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve salsa over grilled chicken or seafood or with chips.