These cake pops boast the fantastically fragrant flavor of gingerbread and tangy-sweet cream cheese frosting, and they look like jingle bells!
Hands-On Time: 1 hr., 20 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
Total Time: 2 hrs.
Serves: 35 | Difficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups white vanilla candy melts
- 35 lollipop sticks (4”)
- Gold and/or silver decorating dust
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9”x9” baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat butter on medium speed, until fluffy. Beat in brown sugar and molasses, until thoroughly combined. Beat in egg. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Stir to combine. Add boiling water; stir to combine again.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes (until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean). Cool completely on wire rack.
- While cake is baking, in a large bowl, make frosting by beating cream cheese and butter together on medium-high speed, until mixture achieves a light and fluffy consistency. Reduce speed to low. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla, until mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- When cake has cooled, scoop it and frosting into large bowl. Stir together, until frosting is evenly incorporated. Roll mixture into 1½”-diameter balls. Set on wire rack to dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large, microwavable bowl, microwave vanilla candy melts for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving for 30-second intervals, stirring between, until candy is smooth and melted.
- Coat the cake balls in melted vanilla candy, gently reheating coating as needed. Insert lollipop stick into each cake ball to form cake pop. Set cake pops upright in a tall glass, or through the holes of an upside-down colander, and allow them to dry.
- Use a small decorating brush to coat each cooled cake pop with decorating dust.
- Melt chocolate chips in the same manner you melted the vanilla candy. Transfer melted chocolate to an icing bag with a small-hole decorating tip (if you don’t have one, transfer melted chocolate into a small, zip-close plastic bag and snip off a small corner). Make large “X”s with chocolate coating on top of each cake pop, to resemble vents in jingle bells.
Per serving: Calories 230, Calories from Fat 90, Total Fat 10g (15% DV), Saturated Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 110mg (5% DV), Carbohydrates 34g (11% DV), Dietary Fiber 0g (0% DV), Sugars 30g, Protein 2g, Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.