Created by: Nicole Leggio, Cooking for Keeps
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, one ingredient reigns supreme – chocolate. Whether you take it in the form of a heart-shaped truffle or four-tiered cake, chances are, you consume some form of chocolate on Valentine’s Day.
Personally, I like my chocolate as rich and dark as I can get it, which is exactly why I’m head over heels for these adorable Chocolate Mascarpone Tarts.
- 2 cups chocolate animal crackers
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Flaked salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease four 3” mini tart pans.
- Add animal crackers to a food processor and pulse until completely crushed. Add sugar, then pulse until combined. With the mixer on, slowly drizzle in butter.
- Evenly divide the cracker mixture between tart pans. Use the back of a spoon to push the crust into the bottom and sides of the pans. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- After cleaning processor bowl, add mascarpone to the bottom and mix until smooth and runny.
- Add 2 tablespoons of mascarpone along with chocolate to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between each until chocolate has melted. (It should take 3-4 intervals.)
- Once the chocolate has melted, slowly whisk in the remaining mascarpone until the mixture is smooth and all chocolate is incorporated.
- Once the tarts cool completely, invert them on a serving platter or flat plate. Tap the bottom with a knife to help them come out. Flip them back right-side-up and evenly divide chocolate mascarpone mixture between tarts. Smooth with a spatula and garnish with flaked salt.
Make sure to grease the tarts very well, as you want them to come out smoothly!