Chocolate, walnuts and a dash of cinnamon make the perfect filling for flaky rugelach.
Hands-On Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 2 hrs. 20 min.
Serves: 24 cookies | Difficulty: Easy
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 oz. Kroger cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. fine salt
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp. walnuts, finely chopped
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- In a bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla and salt together until creamy. Add flour; mix on low, until just combined. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a ball. Wrap each dough ball in plastic and refrigerate them at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Roll one dough ball out into a 9”-diameter circle. Brush it with about a tablespoon of butter, then cover it with 2 Tbsp. cinnamon-sugar mixture, ¼ cup chocolate and 3 Tbsp. walnuts. Cut covered dough into 12 wedges.
- Starting at the wide end of each, roll wedges up and transfer them to paper-lined pans. Place each roll so that the tip is underneath.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with remaining dough and filling ingredients.
- Bake 18-22 min., until bottoms of rugelach are golden brown. Let stand 5 min. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 120, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 9g (14% DV), Saturated Fat 4.5g (22% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 20mg (7% DV), Sodium 30mg (1% DV), Carbohydrates 9g (3% DV), Dietary Fiber < 1g (2% DV), Sugars 4g, Protein 1g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.