Rich whipped mascarpone filling flavored with cherries and almonds is a perfect partner for the light chocolatey sponge cake. Glossy ganache is the crowning glory.
Hands-on Time: 40 min.
Total Time: 2 hrs.
Serves: 10 | Difficulty: Hard
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup Kroger® Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 container (8 oz.) mascarpone
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- ½ tsp. Kroger® Pure Almond Extract
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup candied red cherries, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp. corn syrup
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease a 15"x10"x1" baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and grease parchment paper.
- In medium bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in ¼ cup of the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed 5 minutes or until pale yellow and thick. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup sugar, vanilla and sour cream. Add mixed dry ingredients and beat on low speed until combined; beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites until blended. Spread evenly in baking pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until center springs back when tapped.
- Let cool 2 minutes. Run knife around edges to loosen. Lay clean thin kitchen towel on work surface; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- Turn cake out onto towel. Remove parchment. Spray another piece of parchment paper with cooking spray and lay sprayed side down over top of cake.
- Loosely roll paper-topped cake up in towel. Cool on cooling rack 35-45 minutes or until nearly cooled.
- In medium bowl, beat mascarpone and powdered sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. On low speed mix in whipping cream and almond extract. Beat on medium-high speed until thick and creamy and good spreading consistency. Fold in almonds and cherries.
- Carefully unroll cake and remove paper. Spread filling over cake; carefully roll up and place on platter, seam side down. Tuck strips of waxed paper under edges of cake to protect platter while frosting.
- Place chocolate chips in medium bowl. In small saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium heat just until hot and bubbles start to form around edges. Pour over chocolate chips and let stand 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in corn syrup and cool until mixture mounds slightly when stirred.
- Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate 20 minutes to slightly set ganache. Slice to serve.
Per serving: Calories 370, Calories from Fat 200, Total Fat 23g (35% DV), Saturated Fat 12g (60% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 130mg (43% DV), Sodium 140mg (6% DV), Carbohydrates 37g (12% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 27g, Protein 5g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.