In cool autumn weather, try this warm and hearty soup flavored with game-day favorites.
Hands-on Time: 25 min. | Total Time: 25 min. | Serves: 6 | Difficulty: Medium
- ¾ lb. fresh bratwurst, casings removed (about 3 brats)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pale ale beer
- 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- ⅛ tsp. ground red pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cut in cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 6 large pretzel buns
- In 3½-5 quart saucepan or Dutch oven, crumble and cook bratwurst and onion over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Stir in garlic and flour; cook 1 minute longer.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, beer, mustard and red pepper; heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Return to low heat to heat through, if necessary. Do not boil.
- Meanwhile, slice tops from pretzel buns. Gently pull out interior of buns, leaving ¼” crust. Spoon soup into pretzel buns and garnish with additional cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: Calories 590, Calories from Fat 300, Total Fat 34g (52% DV), Saturated Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 1700mg (71% DV), Carbohydrates 44g (15% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 5g, Protein 24g, Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 20%, Iron 20%.