Balsamic vinegar adds a sweet and tangy flavor to slow-braised brisket. Pairs well with Merlot and Bock.
Hands-On Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 4 hrs.
Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 5 lb. beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 large onions, julienned
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup Kroger balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season both sides of the brisket generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. (or larger) thick-walled pot (or Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add brisket and sear on both sides, until it’s deeply golden brown, then remove it from the pot. Add onions and garlic to pot; cook them 6-8 min. until they’re softened and starting to brown.
- Deglaze the pot with balsamic vinegar, working up any brown bits from the bottom. Add broth and bring to a boil. Return brisket to the pot. Add rosemary. Cover.
- Place covered pot in the oven. Roast 2½-3 hrs., or until brisket becomes tender. Remove brisket from the pot, cover the brisket with foil and allow it to rest 15 minutes before slicing. Slice against the grain.
- Spoon cooked onions and broth over brisket and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Tip: If you don’t have a Dutch oven, the brisket can be seared on a griddle or in a large sauté pan, then transferred to a roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan tightly with foil before placing it in the oven.
Per serving: Calories 520, Calories from Fat 220, Total Fat 24g (37% DV), Saturated Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 175mg (58% DV), Sodium 1110mg (46% DV), Carbohydrates 12g (4% DV), Dietary Fiber 1g (4% DV), Sugars 7g, Protein 60g, Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 4%, Iron 35%