The perfect ratio of sweet apple filling and cheddar spiked crust…it makes enough for a crowd!
Hands-on Time: 60 min. | Total Time: 2 hr. 30 min. | Serves: 24 | Difficulty: Medium
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 - 1½ cups cold water
- 5 lbs. tart baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1-2 Tbsp. sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together flour, cheese, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork slowly add water until mixture just comes together. Divide dough in half, wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together apples, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- On a floured surface roll out 1 piece of dough to a 20”x15” rectangle. Transfer to an 18”x13” half sheet pan. Spread apples evenly across crust.
- Roll out remaining dough to an 19”x14” rectangle. Place on top of filling; seal and crimp edges together. Brush top with cream and sprinkle with sugar; cut several small slits.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
Per serving: Calories 320, Calories from Fat 130, Total Fat 15g (23% DV), Saturated Fat 9g (45% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 40mg (13% DV), Sodium 160mg (7% DV), Carbohydrates 43g (14% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 21g, Protein 5g, Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.