Keep your food-prep space clean and ready with these simple tips.
Whether you have a little bit of time or a lot, here are some handy solutions for keeping your cutting boards clean.
To sanitize plastic cutting boards:
- Wash or rinse with liquid dishwashing detergent and water. Then soak in a solution using 2 tsp. of Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water.
- Let stand 2 minutes, then air dry.
To sanitize wooden cutting boards:
- Use approximately 2 Tbsp. of Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water to create a sanitizing solution.
- Wash, wipe, or rinse with dishwashing detergent and water, then apply solution. Let stand 2 minutes.
- Rinse with a solution of 2 tsp. of Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Do not rinse or soak overnight.
You can reduce cutting board odors by rubbing with halved lemons and then rinsing with cold water.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration offers this advice: “Use smooth cutting boards made of hard maple or a nonporous material such as plastic and free of cracks and crevices. Avoid boards made of soft, porous materials.”